DM: Introductions

From: Patrick A. Lynch
Date: Thu, 26 Feb 1998 04:17:09 -0500 (EST)

Hi there folks,

My name is Patrick Lynch. I am a research assistant and lecturer at
the
University College, Cork, Ireland. Our research includes a project on
the
evolving architectures being used in data warehousing. Through my
interest
in data warehousing, I regard data mining as a fundamental aspect to
the
analytical side of an information architecture. I have been eaves
dropping
on this list for 6 or 8 months now.

I'm not sure if anyone is familiar with the work of Codd (of
relational
database theory fame), but he also offers a variety of analytical
modes
(well, 4 actually) associated closely to OLAP (on-line analytical
processing). OLAP only meets some of the analytical needs (hense
datamining
technologies, for example).
As a matter of interest, does anyone have any other ideas on a
framework or
spectrum of analytical modes between a cursory look and the decision
point,
along with whatever technologies/solutions that would be associated
with
each? Apologies if this is off the agenda in these datamining
discussions.

Cheers, and thanks again to Dorothy...
Patrick

Patrick A. Lynch