RE: DM: DataMining/Knowledge Discovery N

From: Schenck, Scott
Date: Thu, 14 Aug 1997 16:34:11 -0400 (EDT)
Hi,

          I have been reading this news group for about 3 weeks now.  I will first introduce myself and then respond to this mail message.

     I am Director, Empirical Research for Norwest Mortgage, Inc.  My department is responsible for modeling consumer behavior.  We are particularly     interested in mortgage prepayment, delinquency, and forclosure predictive models.  Since Norwest Mortgage is the largest mortgage originator and servicer of mortgages, we have a tremendous amount of data to mine looking for these behavioral patterns.  In the past we have used traditional statistical methods.  Since we have aproximately 100,000,000 records of historical data with about 400 fields, we are starting to investigate more effective ways of identifing unknown relationships within the data.

With this end in mind we are interested in datamining techniques. During the ensuing months I will be posting questions when we are having trouble with a particular issue.  I thank you all in advance for any feedback you might provide.

     I agree with Mr. Walther, I like separate e-mails.  However, most groups I have belonged to have had a digest option for those who do not wish to get so many mailings.  I would vote for both.

               Scott N. Schenck
     Director, Empirical Research
     Norwest Mortgage, Inc.
     8000 Maryland Ave, Suite 1400