Re[2]: DM: discretization

From: Troy_Haines
Date: Tue, 19 Aug 1997 04:02:30 -0400 (EDT)

     To my knowledge discretization strategies are usually performed
with
     the value of an outcome variable explicitly taken into account
     (bivariate framework maximizing some association metric) or
clustering
     with (few) selected variables deemed important a priori.

     The real trick is to design a discretization strategy that is
optimal
     in a multivariate world, one that takes into consideration
interaction
     among several variables simultaneously.  There is no reason to
think
     that a discretization scheme optimized in a bivariate sense will
be
     optimal for multivariate models (such as a multivariate logistic
     regression model).  Of course, if tree induction is the
algorithm of
     choice, a bivariate discretization strategy optimized at each
node may
     be appropriate.

     Troy.

     troy_haines@mail.amsinc.com