Re: DM: equal-size clustering

From: Jonathan A. Marshall
Date: Thu, 4 Sep 1997 16:32:10 -0400 (EDT)

Warren Sarle wrote:
> K-means and numerous similar methods implicitly assume that the
> population mixing probabilities are exactly equal. One popular
> method for forcing the sample mixing proportions to be more nearly
> equal is given in:
>    Desieno, D. (1988), "Adding a conscience to competitive
>learning,"
>    Proc. Int. Conf. on Neural Networks, I, 117-124, IEEE Press.

DeSieno's conscience method works by varying the sensitivity of each
classifying neuron according to the frequency with which the neuron is
activated.  Another alternative suggestion is to vary the interaction
strength between *pairs* of classifying neurons, as described in my
paper

  Marshall JA, "Adaptive perceptual pattern recognition by
self-organizing
  neural networks: Context, uncertainty, multiplicity, and scale."
Neural
  Networks, 8:335-362, April 1995.

The theory and benefits of this method are described in a new paper,

  Marshall JA, Gupta VS, "Generalization and exclusive allocation of
credit
  in unsupervised category learning."  Submitted for journal
publication,
  34 pp., August 1997.

Both papers are available via my web page,
http://www.cs.unc.edu/~marshall.

Another method is Nigrin's SONNET-2, which sets the the interactions
between
pairs of *input elements*.  This is described in Nigrin's 1993 book,
Neural
Networks for Pattern Recognition (MIT Press).

--Jonathan

   _____
  /     \     Jonathan A. Marshall
marshall@cs.unc.edu