Re: DM: rule discovery algorithms

From: Ronny Kohavi
Date: Sat, 20 Sep 1997 13:07:26 -0400 (EDT)

Andy> I was wondering if anyone out there knows of public domain
Andy> algorithms for rule discovery.  I already have or am in the
Andy> process of obtaining Brute, CN2, and RIPPER.  Thanks much.

C4.5 and C5.0 are probably the best rule learners, especially when
coupled with boosting, which they provide.

C4.5 comes with Quinlan's book.  C5.0 is at www.rulequest.com
(commercial).

In addition, the previous release of MLC++ provided hooks to C4.5 and
CN2 and the new one has hooks to all of the above, so you don't have
to worry about file formats etc.  See
http://www.sgi.com/Technology/mlc
You will need an SGI machine to compile MLC++ by default, although
some have compiled it on HP pretty easily (Sun's compiler and g++
aren't up to speed yet although there's recent hope with g++'s new
repo patch).

--

   Ronny Kohavi (ronnyk@sgi.com, http://robotics.stanford.edu/~ronnyk)
   Engineering Manager, Analytical Data Mining.