Re: DM: CHAID vs. CARTŪ

From: Nicolas Lachiche
Date: Thu, 25 Sep 1997 11:56:06 -0400 (EDT)

  > Ronny Kohavi wrote:

  >> Since the theory says that it's impossible for one algorithm to
  >> uniformly beat any other on generalization accuracy in
classification
  >> tasks (where uniformly is for all possible target concepts), the
  >> question is *when* (under what conditions) one algorithm is
better
  >> than another, not *whether*.
  >>

  > Do you have a reference to the paper or book that describes such
a theory?
  > Thanks.

  > Mike

It seems to me the following article is a good reference on this
point:

@InProceedings{SCH94,
  author =       "Cullen Schaffer",
  title =        "A conservation law for generalization performance",
  pages =        "259-265",
  booktitle =    "Proceedings of the Eleventh International Conference
                  on Machine Learning (ICML'94)",
  year =         1994,
  publisher =    "Morgan Kaufmann",
  address =      "New Brunswick, NJ"