DM: Decision Trees

From: canarelli
Date: Wed, 3 Dec 1997 03:34:47 -0500 (EST)
hi all,
Some times ago, there has been a discussion in this forum regarding
pros and
cons of various decision trees algorithms (in particular CARTŪ  vs
CHAID).
Basically the conclusion was the following:

1.There are 3 families of decision tree algorithms:
  1) The CARTŪ  family (CARTŪ , IND CARTŪ , Splus CARTŪ , etc.)
  2) The ML family (ID3, C4.5, C5 and other derivatives, etc.)
  3) The AID family (THAID, CHAID, XAID, TREEDISC, etc.)

2. The differences between the 3 families are small. They concern:
  o motivation behind the algorithm
  o splitting criteria
  o stopping criteria
  o scale type of the dependent/criterion variable
  o scale type of the independent/input variables.

3. All lead to similar results and none outperforms the others on a
large
number of datasets.

I am more interested in knowing precisely what are the fundamental
technical
differences  between (or assumptions behind) these 3 families of
decision trees.
Does anyone can help me in understanding this (pointers to literature,
comments, related web site, ...) ?

Thanks in advance.
Patrick.

Patrick Canarelli