Re: DM: Parallel coordinates

From: Alfred Inselberg
Date: Fri, 9 Jan 1998 03:25:01 -0500 (EST)
Dear Warren,

Thanks for your thoughtful examples. However, "appears" is not what
distances are about just as what "appears" in projections is not what
is
often the case. Specifically, in Parallel Coordinates (abbr.
||-coords)
one can easily draw a hypercube of ANY dimension. Any polygonal line
within it is necessarily within the L1 (Manhattan metric) distance of
the
side from any
other such polygonal line including those representing the vertices
-- that
easily takes care of your examples and more. For Euclidean L2
distance one
constructs (i.e. draws) a sphere with any required radius -- that is
almost as easily done in ||-coords. There is a neat interior point
algorithm which I published and which easily and VISUALLY enables one
decide if a
point (or its polygonal line) is interior to the sphere. In this way
one
can SEE (yes SEE) spherical neighborhoods in ANY dimension. Two
papers in
the J. of Applied Math (April 1994) deal with all this and much more.
It
turns out that one can SEE (with some construction) the MINIMUM L1
Distance between two lines in ANY dimension. There is also a very
simple
algorithm there for constructing the L2 distance between any two
points in
||-coords. Some of these proximity results were used in Collision
Avoidance algorithms for Air Traffic Control (USA patents # 4,823,272,
# 5,058,024, # 5,173,861).

The easy definition of a point representation in ||-coords is NOT
where
the strength of ||-coords lies. Rather it is in its ability to
represent
RELATIONS provably without losing information. For example one of my
doctorate students recently found how to recognize if an object is
CONVEX
in N-space. Of course, this is not "obvious" and many people do not
venture into these more challenging -- and most useful -- aspects
of the Parallel Coordinates methodology.

Best regards

Alfred Inselberg