Re: DM: CSI Visualizer Workstation Announcement

From: Monte Hancock
Date: Fri, 9 Jan 1998 07:12:07 -0500 (EST)

-----Original Message-----
From: AARB <ariguer@ctc.cl>
To: Rhonda Delmater <rhonda@csihq.com>
Cc: datamine-l@nautilus-sys.com <datamine-l@nautilus-sys.com>
Date: Thursday, January 08, 1998 7:31 PM
Subject: Re: DM: CSI Visualizer Workstation Announcement

>Rhonda Delmater wrote:
>
>> CSI's Visualizer Workstation Provides Important New Data Mining
>Insights
>>                 Data can be viewed in multi-dimensional space.

AARB asks:

>What are the main differences of this software with Minesset (SGI)?
>What is the size of de data wich is possible analize?

   My understanding is that Mineset (a product of Silicon Graphics)
uses
non-spatial representation (e.g., animation) to depict
hyper-dimensions.
The CSI Visualizer uses spatial representation.  The principal
operational
difference is the whether you are "lossy in space, or lossy in time":

  1)  Animation does not show all information simultaneously in time
(lossy
in time, since at no particular
        time is all information necessarily visible).
  2)  Spatial representations(*) do not show all information
simultaneously
in space (lossy in space,
        since objects may be occluded).

   Clearly, there is a domain-dependent trade here.  For complex data
mining, we think contemporaneous spatial depiction, though
space-lossy, is
usually more intuitive.  To garner some of the benefits of time-lossy
representations, the Visualizer supports, among other things, viewer
roam.
I've found smooth "coptering" around a cluster set with the
Visualizer to be
very enlightening.  (Side note:  We've got a Visualizer prototype that
double-paints the display from two vantage points and uses the old
1950's
style red/blue "3-D" glasses...not bad, but not ready for prime time!)

   There are, of course, non-spatial representations besides animation
(e.g., certain brushing techniques).  We have chosen to rely on
spatial
representation because we think it provides the intuition best suited
to our
target market.

   (*)  Parallel coordinate representations (A. Inselberg's
ground-breaking
work in visualization) are a good example of a well-known spatial
representation for hyper-dimensional data.

--M. Hancock
  Chief Scientist, CSI