Re: DM: Clustering and categorical attributes (fwd)

From: Warren Sarle
Date: Mon, 12 Jan 1998 19:02:24 -0500 (EST)

Murray Jorgensen <maj@waikato.ac.nz> replied:
> True, but when dealing with attributes with 1000 levels you would
>need to
> generate 999 dummy variables for each of these. I see things
>starting to
> get a little messy!

What's really messy is when people want to use zip codes with 20,000
levels, many of which have only one or two cases. In such situations,
I ask "Do you really want to do that?" and they say "Yes!" <sigh>

But assuming there are adequate data to support the analysis,
generating a few thousand dummy variables isn't all that bad.
It's certainly less hassle than computing a distance matrix when
you have a million cases!

--

Warren S. Sarle       SAS Institute Inc.   The opinions expressed here
saswss@unx.sas.com    SAS Campus Drive     are mine and not