Re: DM: KDD Classes

From: Charlie Berger
Date: Fri, 30 Jan 1998 13:31:19 -0500 (EST)
Doug,

FYI - Thinking Machines Corporation offers classes in data mining,
albeit
with a strong product focus (Darwin data mining software), but
several are
coming up.

A description for one follows below.  Check out our web site at:

http://www.think.com    for more schedules and more information.

cb
Using Darwin to Develop Models for Data Mining and Knowledge Discovery

Audience:  Anyone responsible for analyzing, modeling or using
information
from databases for decision support purposes.

Prerequisites:  Some experience in database modeling or analysis is
desirable.

(DM) and
Knowledge Discovery in Databases (KDD) using Darwin.  The course
starts
with a general overview of  DM and KDD, then proceeds to the
techniques for
classification and prediction in the Darwin Toolset:  Darwin Tree,
Darwin
Net and Darwin Match.   Students will be able to develop useful
knowledge
discovery models using Darwin upon completion of the course.
In this hands-on course (50% lab time) students use Darwin to analyze
real
business data sets.  Each of the tools from the Darwin Toolset is
applied
to the data sets to produce prediction models.  The models are
compared
using classified data to identify the best modeling method.  The best
model
is then applied to an unclassified data set.

Goals:  After completing this course, students will be able to:
* Understand the strategies and goals of DM and KDD
* Prepare a data set for the Darwin tools
* Use the techniques of each module in the Darwin Toolset to create
models
* Compare results and choose the best model
* Use the chosen model to classify a data set

Duration:  Three days

Tuition:        $1200 /seat at Thinking Machines, Burlington, MA
        $9000 at customer site (T&L for instructor billed separately)

To register for this course, please contact our Customer Support at
(800)
677-1110,
or send e-mail to customer-support@think.com

At 11:40 PM 1/29/98 -0500, eric@heuristics.com wrote:

>doug.sur@bigfoot.com wrote:
>         I am new to the DM area and would like to take some
>classes.  Do
>     you
>     know of any such classes offered in the Washington D.C. metro
>area or
>     via
>     the Internet?   I appreciate any information you could provide.
>

>The Gordian Institute offers a commercial short-course entitled "Data
>Mining:
>Principles and Practice."  It is a two day intensive introduction to
>data
>mining with an optional third day hands-on workshop.
>
>The schedule for "Data Mining: Principles and Practice" is:
>     - Santa Clara, CA: January 28, 29; workshop on 30th
>
>     - Satellite Beach, FL (near Orlando): February 11, 12;
>       workshop on 13th  (four seats remain in the FL course)
>
>     - HERNDON, VA (Center for Innovative Technology): May 13, 14;
>       workshop on 15th
>
>Full course details, to include an outline of topics, intent,
>pricing,
>logistics and registration information may be referenced at
>http://www.gordianknot.com  or by sending an Email message to
>agent@gordianknot.com  with "Data Mining Details" in the subject
>field.
>

>     - Eric King
>     eric@heuristics.com

Charles R. Berger                       Phone:   781-238-3418
Director of Marketing                   Fax:     781-238-3440
Thinking Machines Corporation           Email:   cberger@think.com
16 New England Executive Park           Web:     http://www.think.com
Burlington, MA  01803