DM: datamine-l new member intro

From: William Hsu
Date: Sun, 1 Mar 1998 01:29:14 -0500 (EST)
Hello,

        Here's my belated intro to the DM group:

        My name is William Hsu.  I am a Ph.D. student at the
University
of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, and work in the Beckman Institute AI
Group.  I'm currently completing my dissertation on spatiotemporal
sequence
learning (specifically, causal discovering and data mining from
spatially
reference time series).  Some applications of this research are
situated
crisis recognition (critiquing, control systems for automation in
crisis
management) and monitoring.  My primary test bed is a geospatial
decision
support problem in precision agriculture and applied climatology.
It's
of interest to me primarily because of its heterogeneity (e.g., it
contains many different embedded autoregressive, moving average, ARMA,
duration-based time series modeling subproblems, among others) and
decomposability.

        I'm also looking at smaller, more homogeneous test beds in the
area of biomedical signals, protein secondary fold prediction, and
smaller-scale time series monitoring.

        The methods I am particularly interested in are: model
selection,
Bayesian ensemble learning (variational techniques, Markov chain Monte
Carlo, etc.), (hierarchical) decomposition of inductive learning
tasks,
hybridization of ANN and Bayesian network learning, modular
connectionist
(graphical, probabilistic) models, and integration of symbolic and
seminumerical learning.

-Bill

P.S. : I have been lurking for a couple of months but am very
interested
       to know if anyone else is working on technique selection from
       a ``repertoire'' of probabilistic models.  In my case, the
toolbox
       is populated by temporal ANNs and Bayesian networks.

P.P.S. : I've been trying to gather interest/momentum for a USENET
newsgroup,
         comp.ai.uncertainty, to discuss these and other uncertain
reasoning
         (and KDD) topics.  Please let me know if you have any such
         interests!

*|/////||==============- http://www-kbs.ai.uiuc.edu