Re[2]: Proposed book on Data Mining

From: david_hatter
Date: Thu, 5 Mar 1998 08:21:26 -0500 (EST)

     Dear Dorothy

     Thank you for offer to help on the Data Mining book.

     I have composed some copy, which runs to just over 5o lines and
is
     appended below.  If you could include it in your newsletter, Id
be
     grateful.

     With regards,

     Dave

     D.J.Hatter
     Publisher, Computing and Information Systems
     McGraw-Hill Publishing Company,
     Shoppenhangers Rd, Maidenhead, Berkshire, England SL6 2QL

     Email: dave_hatter@mcgraw-hill.com

     Phone: (In order of probability)
     (mobile) +44 374 478508
     (home)   +44 1277 362915
     (office) +44 1628 502583

     fax: +44 1628 770224

     website:  http://www.mcgraw-hill.co.uk

** Your views are requested on a proposed new publication in Data
Mining **
At McGraw-Hill we have a proposal from Sarab Anand of Ulster
University on the
subject which is being considering for publication.  The proposal,
which is
summarised below, has been reviewed and has received praise for its
technical
and academic fidelity; we now need to assess the interest in the book
among the
informed community.  What I would like to ask, therefore, is to ask
whether you
would be interested in the book, for your own use or as a text for
students. A
brief e-note indicating your view, together with any observation
which occurs to
you would help me greatly. An indication of the extent to which the
subject
appears in advanced u/g and p/g courses would be particularly useful.
In the
event of there being support for its publication we would be pleased
to make it
available at a preferred price for members of this group.

Thank you very much for your help. It is our view at McGraw-Hill that
the book
promises to be a significant addition to the literature and your
response will
assist us in our decision on whether to publish. Please address your
response to
me, dave_hatter@mcgraw-hill.com

1: Introduction; Anand, Buchner, Hughes
Overview of Data Mining technologies. What Data Mining is and why it
is needed.
PART I:   Data Pre-Processing
2: Dealing with Missing Data; Ken Totton, Gavin Meggs, Blaise Egan
(BT) Most
common attribute value to bayesian and statistical models.
3: Data Dimensionality Reduction; Ron Kohavi(Stanford),
McClean,Scotney (Ulster)
Covers techniques  to reduce the dimensionality of the data.
4: Noise Modelling; Ray Hickey (Ulster)
"How can a discovery algorithm cope with inaccurate data"
PART II Discovery Methodologies; Machine Learning Based Techniques
5: Rule Induction / Information Theory: Padhraic Smyth (U of
California, Irvine)
The use of Information Theoretic measures within rule discovery is
studied.
6: Conceptual Clustering; A Doug Talbert, Doug Fisher, Vandebilt U,
Tennessee
Discusses problems in present clustering techniques & presents novel
solutions.
7: Heuristic Techniques; V. Rayward-Smith (University of East Anglia)
Techniques
such as Simulated Annealing, Genetic Algorithms & hybrid techniques.
8:
Connectionism and Data Mining; Liu, Setiono (National U of Singapore)
This chapter discusses techniques available for rule extraction.
Uncertainty
Based Techniques:
9: Rough Set Analysis; Ivo Duntsch (Ulster), Gunther Gediga
(Onsabruck, Germany)
Basic concepts &  two techniques for obtaining a logic of rough sets
10: Bayesian Belief Networks and L-L Modelling; Shapcott, Bell,  Liu
(Ulster)
Basic concepts of l-l models for two variables & their
generalisation. Database
Support for Data Mining:
11: Database Support for Attribute Oriented Induction;J.Han (Simon
Fraser U)
Attribute Oriented Induction operations mapped onto database
operations.
12: Discovery in Distributed and Heterogeneous
Databases;Bell,Anand,Hua (Ulster)
Initial work on requirements for distributed database support for
discovery.
13: Distributed Statistical Databases; McClean, Scotney  (Ulster) The
structure
of a micro/macro data model and relations is examined. PART III The
Role of the
Human:
14: Using Background Knowledge; A. Tuzhilin (New York University)
Covers the
role of domain knowledge within Data Mining.
PART IV Knowledge Post-Processing
15: Knowledge Filtering; Friedrich Gebhardt (GMD Labs, Germany )
Covers both aspects of interestingness discussing its different
facets and
providing a survey of measures used to address each of these facets.
Covers both
objective as well as subjective measures.
16: Knowledge Validation;  Ken Totton, Gavin Meggs, Blaise Egan BT
Labs, England
A number of different approaches to knowledge validation are
reviewed.