Re: DM: Medical data mining: successful examples?

From: e
Date: Wed, 25 Mar 1998 15:50:28 -0500 (EST)
At 12:36 PM 3/25/98 -0800, Kamal M Ali wrote:

>Hello Rao,
>        IBM has done work in applying data-mining to patient
>        records. Specifically the project used association rules to
>        look for medical tests that could be predicted from
>        combinations of other medical tests. We represented
>        data/information about the patient as well as his/her medical
>        history in association rule format rather than the ususal
>        fixed col format cuz this is a variable information length
>        problem which cannot usefully be converted into the usual
>        fixed-lenght type of formats used by conventional
>        classification/predeiction tools.

http://www.dialogis.de dm tool Kepler
can consult multiple relations in one pass,
so that you can keep your hospital, patient, doctor,
diagnosis data were it is in different db tables.

i did some work on patient mining, as it were, with the
system, but don't know if it was a toy example
or part of a real thing. i recommend you check out Kepler,
not least because i worked on its granddaddy when he was
still in basic research ..

eddi

--
 alive in the superunknown