Re: DM: Data Mining in the Federal Government

From: Dorothy Firsching
Date: Wed, 24 Jun 1998 08:44:41 -0400 (EDT)
Chris,

As a long-time government contractor, including special projects, I
know that there are sensitive projects.  Many of the data mining
projects in the commercial realm are sensitive as well, particularly
when they are viewed as providing a competitive edge.

However, there are plenty of potential projects in Federal agencies
where data mining has not yet been tried.  The states are doing
some.  Other countries are.  We really do want to see this technology
become more mainstream.  That is my interest, and it goes beyond
your phrase, "hock a product".  We're not product vendors, anyway.
We're consultants.

I was not expecting *those* agencies' projects.

/Dorothy