Re: DM: Data Mining in the Federal Government

From: Nancy Grady
Date: Tue, 30 Jun 1998 19:32:19 -0400 (EDT)
My name is Nancy Grady, I lead a group on Intelligent Data Exploration
and Analysis at Oak Ridge National Laboratory.

We presented a poster at the AFCEA meeting last december, but the
paper
was too late to get into the proceedings.
        http://www.epm.ornl.gov/~grady/papers/afcea.ps
       "Mining Credit Card Data for Decision Support"
more general info is at
        http://www.epm.ornl.gov/datamining/
with pointers to several projects. (I obviously need to add more
information to this page.)

We have been redirecting our computational and statistical expertise
into the data mining area for a couple of years now.  The project
mentioned above for the prediction of personal bankruptcy is one of
our more recent efforts.  We also have a large effort in mining
genome sequence data and classification of image content, as well
as statistical tools for feature detection.  Sponsors range from
the Department of Energy to partnerships/consulting with industry.

Los Alamos also has several projects in data mining and pattern
recognition.