Re: DM: PR: Carving into web-logs for business intelligence

From: Julian Clinton
Date: Tue, 7 Jul 1998 06:37:38 -0400 (EDT)

Hello Dorothy

> Most web logs simply don't provide the information you'd really
>want to
> mine.  Cookies, etc., require that the site be engineered to
>collect the
> information required for the later analysis.

Indeed - our user partners already collect this information. Applying
data mining techniques in addition to their current tools, should
extend their understanding of factors which maximise web site
business.

> I would be interested in how ISL is dealing with this: Are you
>extending the
> logged information(requires coordination with web server
>developers), mining
> ordinary log information, or getting into web site development (to
>store and
> mine cookies)?

We currently plan to use the standard types of log files (referrals,
cookies, page requests) to analyse visitor behaviour. Primarily this
will be of visitors who purchase something from the web site (what
pages do they visit? do they visit frequently before buying?)
but also to help with site design (how effective are different
types of advertising and navigation tools?).

If the project does identify types of useful information which a web
server could generate, we would certainly aim to discuss these with
server developers and with other contacts the project has in
e-commerce.

Regards

Julian
MIMIC Project Co-ordinator