DM: Last Call: EXCITING DATA MINING FORUM IN MANHATTAN, AUGUST 28-29

From: Ismail Parsa
Date: Tue, 25 Aug 1998 01:37:57 -0400 (EDT)
This is the last call to R.S.V.P iparsa@epsilon.com if you are
planning to attend the KDD-98 exhibits.

Come join us for the two fun, free and enlightening days!

----

Dear Tri-State (NY, CT, NJ and even Philadelphia) area Data Miners,
Statisticians, Programmer/Analysts and Students:

It is my pleasure to invite you to join the Exhibit session of the
4th International Conference on Knowledge Discovery and Data Mining
(KDD-98). This exhibit is *FREE OF CHARGE*.

The KDD-98 Exhibit program will feature demonstrations by 18 data
mining tools/vendors, 13 research prototypes and 5 publishers.  There
will also be 3 exhibit presentations.  Refreshments will be served.

The Exhibit session speakers are:

   o Gordon Linoff, co-author of _Data Mining Techniques_, will
     present "Data Mining in the Real World"
   o Shivakumar Vaithaynathan will present "Data Mining on the
     Internet:  Overview, Algorithmic Challenges and Applications"
   o Ismail Parsa will present "Data Mining Tools"

A select list of exhibitors includes:

   o ISL Decision Systems, Clementine
   o Isoft, Alice
   o Megaputer Intelligence, PolyAnalyst
   o Salford Systems, CARTŪ
   o SAS Institute, Enterprise Miner
   o Sentient Machine Research, DataDetective
   o SGI, MineSet
   o SRA International, KDD Explorer
   o Thinking Machines, Darwin
   o Unica Technologies, PRW & Model1
   o Urban Science, GainSmarts
   o WizSoft, WizWhy & WizRule.

For a complete list of the exhibitors please refer to:

   www.kdnuggets.com/kdd98/exhibits.html

| Location, Important Dates & Exhibits Schedule                      |

The Conference will be held in midtown Manhattan in New York City, at
the New York Marriott Marquis Hotel between August 27-31, 1998. For
more information about the conference, please visit URL:

   http://www.kdnuggets.com/kdd98

The Exhibit session will be held in the Astor Ballroom, 7th Floor.
The schedule is as follows:

   Friday, August 28, 1998:  2:00-6:00PM
   Saturday, August 29, 1998: 10:00-6:00PM.

The Exhibit presentations are scheduled as follows:

Friday, August 28, 1998

   4:30-5:15PM, Duffy/Columbia Room, 7th Floor

   Gordon Linoff (Data Miners, gordon@data-miners.com)

   Data Mining in the Real World.  This presentation will discuss the
   issues of data mining in the real world.  It will touch on the
   relationship of data mining with a data warehouse (is it really
   easier?)  and on issues related to managing data and choosing
   particular techniques.

Saturday, August 29, 1998

   12:00-12:45PM, Duffy/Columbia Room, 7th Floor

   Shivakumar Vaithaynathan (IBM Research, vaithyan@us.ibm.com)

   Data Mining On the Internet:  Overview, Algorithmic Challenges and
   Applications.  The advent of the World Wide Web has caused a
   dramatic increase in the usage of the Internet.  The resulting
   growth in on-line information combined with the almost chaotic
   nature of the web necessitates the development of powerful yet
   computationally efficient algorithms.  In this talk, I will provide
   examples of applications where data mining could be applied and
   then focus on the algorithmic challenges along.  I will also
   discuss some new algorithms and provide some results.

   4:30-5:15PM, Duffy/Columbia Room, 7th Floor

   Ismail Parsa (Epsilon, iparsa@epsilon.com)

   Data Mining Tools.  The data mining tools marketplace is diverse.
   There are tools that offer broad-based data mining capability,
   tools aimed at solving the problems of a particular industry,
   tools combined with a service offering, black-box tools and
   vendors/tools offering custom solutions such as CRM, campaign
   management, etc.

   We will first segment the data mining tools marketplace.  We will
   then learn how to differentiate between the many data mining tools
   for the best return on investment.  We will finally review the
   summary results of a real-life data mining tool evaluation case
   study.  Come see what all the hype is all about!

| KDD-98 Conference                                                  |

KDD-98 is the premiere event for the data mining community, bringing
together researchers, practitioners and application developers from
different KDD related fields such as machine learning, statistics,
databases, data visualization, database marketing and finance to
share ideas/experiences, and to explore new concepts, applications,
tools and techniques.  For more information about the conference,
please visit URL:  http://www.kdnuggets.com/kdd98.

Come confer with us in the midst of technical discussions, demos,
exhibits and refreshments.

If you plan to attend, please R.S.V.P <iparsa@epsilon.com> so we can
plan accordingly.

With warm regards,