Re: DM: question

From: Mark F. Hornick
Date: Mon, 9 Nov 1998 11:12:57 -0500 (EST)
At 06:29 PM 11/7/98 -0200, Maria Madalena Dias wrote:
>Hi,
>
>Is it possible to develop a system of date mining using a object-oriented
>methodology? If it is possible, how? It could indicate papers,
>publications, sites and others on this subject.

Hi Maria,

It is not only possible, but desirable to develop a data mining system using object-orientation. (I'm going on the assumption that you intended "data mining" above.)

In Thinking Machine's next release data mining tool, DARWIN 4.0, we have employed object-oriented analysis and design extensively.

A key aspect to any object-based implementation includes the evolution of an object data model, i.e., the sets of classes/objects that represent entities in the domain. In data mining this includes, e.g., objects representing datasets, models/algorithms, deployable models, and data sources and sinks (native database access, ODBC access, flat files, etc.).

Although not to be abused, object inheritance can play a beneficial role in structuring data mining classes. The proper generalization/specialization of classes, from our experience, results in significant code reuse and more understandable/reliable software. When attaching this to a graphical user interface, the benefits are immediate.

A few general purpose OO references you may find useful include:

_Design Patterns_ by Gamma et al
_Pitfalls of Object-Oriented Development_ by Webster
_Large-scale C++ Software Design_ by Lakos

Good luck on your endeavor,

Mark

Mark F. Hornick Phone: 781-238-3421
Software Architect Fax: 781-238-3440