DM: Book on datamining

From: Alessandro Zanasi
Date: Tue, 24 Nov 1998 03:57:57 -0500 (EST)

Anderson,
1) In my courses and lectures, as a non technical starting point, I
usually use:
"Discovering Data Mining-From Concept to Implementation"
(whose I am a coauthor...! With Cabena/Hadjinian/Stadler/Verhees) -
Prentice
Hall -
 It is an introduction to Data Mining, with real examples/business
cases.
"Data Warehousing, Data Mining & OLAP" -
(by Berson/Smith) - McGraw Hill
It is an handbook, detailed and didactic, with introduction to other
topics
related to data mining.

2) Anyway, seen that you are a computer science student, I strongly
suggest you
to read as soon as possible Data Mining Conferences Proceedings.
         For instance:
"KDD 98 - 4th International Conference on Knowledge Discovery and Data
Mining-New York"-
Editors: Agrawal/Stolorz/Piatetsky-Shapiro  -  The AAAI Press -
ISBN:1-57735-070-7
"ICDM 98 -  International Conference on Data Mining-Rio de Janeiro"-
Editor: Nelson Ebecken - WIT Press - ISBN: 1 85312 677 2 -
In this one you may also find references to Brazilian researchers.

3) Other useful and good books:
"Data Mining with Neural Networks" (Bigus) - McGraw Hill (with a very
good
bibliography)
"Data Mining Techniques" (Berry/Linoff) - John Wiley (complete and
easy to
read)

Ate  logo!
Alessandro