DM: RE: binary vs. multiway splits in classification trees

From: Tom Dinsmore
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 1999 09:13:42 -0500 (EST)

Multiway splits can produce a cleaner and neater looking tree than binary splits where key predictors are multinomials. But since multiway splits can be expressed as a series of binary splits, there should be no difference in predictive power. You should be aware, however, that the underlying differences between "cluster" and "exhaustive" in KnowledgeSeeker go well beyond the ability to do multiway splits.