DM: RE: Datamining Texts

From: Collier, Ken
Date: Wed, 7 Apr 1999 23:05:57 -0400 (EDT)

I used the following in my CSE599 Knowledge Discovery in Databases course at Northern Arizona University last semester:

Berry, Michael and Linoff, Gordon, "Data Mining Techniques: For Marketing, Sales, and Customer Support", John Wiley and Sons, 1997, ISBN: 0471179809

This is a great book for practitioners and goes relatively deep in its explanation of how the algorithms work. However, depending on your audience it may need to be supplemented with more rigorous readings in machine learning. For a computer science graduate course I have yet to find a DM book that really peels back the skin and looks inside. Unfortunately, the good machine learning texts are much broader than a KDD focus. Anyhow, I hope this helps.

---
Ken Collier
Manager, Knowledge Management Solutions
KPMG LLP