Re: DM: RE: Datamining Texts

From: Omer F Rana
Date: Thu, 8 Apr 1999 05:53:15 -0400 (EDT)
} I used the following in my CSE599 Knowledge Discovery in Databases
course at
} Northern Arizona University last semester:
}
} Berry, Michael and Linoff, Gordon, "Data Mining Techniques: For
Marketing,
} Sales, and Customer Support", John Wiley and Sons, 1997, ISBN:
0471179809
}
} This is a great book for practitioners and goes relatively deep in
its
} explanation of how the algorithms work. However, depending on your
audience
} it may need to be supplemented with more rigorous readings in
machine
} learning. For a computer science graduate course I have yet to find
a DM
} book that really peels back the skin and looks inside.
Unfortunately, the
} good machine learning texts are much broader than a KDD focus.
Anyhow, I
} hope this helps.

Hi, I use the book:

"An introduction to Expert Systems" by Peter Jackson (Addison Wesley,
1998),
3rd edition

for an MSc course that covers some aspects of Data Mining. The title
of this
book is misleading -- as it covers a number of other related areas in
machine
learning -- such as bayesian nets, dempster shafer, id3/c4.5, rough
sets etc.
the book also uses CLIPS as the expert system shell -- and if you are
a Java fan
(like me), you can adapt the examples for use with JESS.

Omer

--
work:+44 (0)1222-875542 / otherwise:+44 0956-299981 / parallel and
scientific