DM: RE: data mining skeptics

From: osborn
Date: Mon, 16 Aug 1999 07:44:05 -0400 (EDT)
Tjen-Sien Lim asks:

        > I'm wondering what you'd say to people who are
        > skeptical or even cynical toward data mining. I've
        > just met people who really dislike data mining and
        > predict that the entire field won't last long. Since
        > they're beyond my league, I couldn't convince
        > them that data mining is a real field and won't vanish.
        > Thanks.

They can be "in a different universe" for several different
reasons.

[1] They may come from an organisation where
quantitative/model information has almost no input into
decision making and planning (beyond accounting).

[2] They may have been burnt by AI hype. Or are
trying to avoid your approach for consulting work...
There is still a lot of hype out there!!!

[3] They may be a stuck record repeating the
phrase, "I tell you, it can't be done". And may or
may not be willing to be proved wrong. [Think
"religion" rather than "technology"].

[4] They may be the wrong person [too stupid,
too much invested in established 'solutions',
too lazy, too loud, too paranoid, ...].

[5] They may be already doing it under a
different name, and not so automatically...

[6] They may not want to waste time and money...

If you want to make progress with DM credibility,
look to intelligent, open-minded people who
have already solved a few problems with novelty.

T.
Dr Tom Osborn
Director of Modelling
NTF