DM: RE: RE: data mining skeptics

From: Wennekes, Pim
Date: Mon, 16 Aug 1999 12:04:59 -0400 (EDT)
Tjen,

Moving from the Industrial Revolution to the Information Revolution (Gartner Group, somewhere in the eighties), it's rather silly to say that AI/KDD/Datamining will vanish.

By now, we (the people) have started to accept monitoring systems like MIS, EIS, DSS and OLAP & Reporting. But whereas these systems only tells you WHAT is happening, KDD tells you (partly) WHY it's happening. Of course KDD won't bring you miracles by simply plug 'n play but the combination of business knowledge, understanding of KDD methologies & techniques and, so very true: a bit of scepticism of both you and your clients might give you the knowledge to save a lot of inefficiently spent money.

Yours truly,
Pim Wennekes
Getronics
Business Center Retail