Re: DM: Transforming Data

From: William H. Hsu
Date: Mon, 17 Apr 2000 00:22:00 -0500

Eni,

     Here are some suggestions:

1. Chapters 4, 6, and 7 of

    Predictive Data Mining: A Practical Guide
    S. M. Weiss and N. Indurkhya
    Book page: http://www.mkp.com/books_catalog/1-55860-533-9.asp
    Software page: http://www.data-miner.com

    also have some material on data reduction and its effects
    on later stages of the pipeline.  I just started reviewing
    this book for a summer DM course I'm preparing, and it
    seems to address important issues in this vein.

2. I think the KDD overview paper by Fayyad (in the Fayyad,
    Piatetsky-Shapiro, and Uthurusamy book from AAAI/MIT
    Press) addresses "downstream effects" of transformation
    and reduction as well.

    "Knowledge Discovery and Data Mining: Towards a
    Unifying Framework", Usama Fayyad, Gregory Piatetsky-Shapiro,
    and Padhraic Smyth. Proceedings of Second International
    Conference on Knowledge Discovery and Data Mining
    (KDD-96), AAAI Press, 1996.
    http://www.research.microsoft.com/~fayyad/papers/kdd96-intro.htm

3. We just published an MLJ paper addressing problem reformulation
    by attribute partitioning, and its effects on unsupervised learning
    (cluster definition) and model selection in subsequent supervised
    learning.  The paper is geared towards time series learning, but we
    have used the technique for other KDD applications.

    A Multistrategy Approach to Classifier Learning from Time Series.
    W. H. Hsu, S. R. Ray, and D. C. Wilkins.  Machine Learning,
    38:213-236, 2000.
    Preprint:
http://lightsaber.ncsa.uiuc.edu/Papers/Hsu/mlmsl-final-kluwer.doc
    Related papers/thesis: http://www.cis.ksu.edu/~bhsu/