DM: Information-theoretic data-mining in biology: CFPs

From: David L Dowe
Date: Fri, 18 Jul 1997 23:23:53 -0400 (EDT)
   Dear "Data miners",

      Below is a fairly long Call For Papers (CFPs) and Call For
Reviewers
(CFRs) with a fairly tight deadline (apologies about that) of July 21
for
a conference stream in Hawaii on

Information-theoretic data-mining in biology.

More follows:

Complexity and information-theoretic approaches to biology

This is the Call For Papers for the 3rd Pacific Symposium on
BioComputing
(PSB-3, 1998) conference stream on "Complexity and
information-theoretic
approaches to biology".

PSB-98 will be held from 5-9 January, 1998, in Hawaii, at the Ritz
Carlton
Kapalua on Maui.

Stream Organisers: David L. Dowe (dld@cs.monash.edu.au) and Klaus
Prank.

WWW site:
http://www.cs.monash.edu.au/~dld/PSB-3/PSB-3.Info.CFPs.html .

Specific technical area to be covered by this stream:

Approaches to biological problems using notions of information or
complexity,
including methods such as Algorithmic Probability, Minimum Message
Length and
Minimum Description Length. Two possible applications are (e.g.)
protein
folding and biological information processing.
Kolmogorov (1965) and Chaitin (1966) studied the notions of
complexity and
randomness, with Solomonoff (1964), Wallace (1968) and Rissanen
(1978) applying
these to problems of statistical and inferential learning and to
prediction.
The methods of Solomonoff, Wallace and Rissanen have respectively
come to be
known as Algorithmic Probability (ALP), Minimum Message Length (MML)
and
Minimum Description Length (MDL).  All of these methods relate to
information
theory, and can also be thought of in terms of Shannon's information
theory,
and can also be thought of in terms of Boltzmann's thermo-dynamic
entropy.

An MDL/MML perspective has been suggested by a number of authors in
the context
of approximating unknown functions with some parametric approximation
scheme
(such as a neural network). The designated measure to optimize under
this
scheme combines an estimate of the cost of misfit with an estimate of
the cost
of describing the parametric approximation (Akaike 1973, Rissanen
1978, Barron
and Barron 1988).

This stream invites all original papers of a biological nature which
use
notions of information and/or complexity, with no strong preference
as to what
specific nature.  Such work has been done in problems of, e.g.,
protein folding
and DNA string alignment.  As we shortly describe in some detail,
such work has
also been done in the analysis of temporal dynamics in biology such
as neural
spike trains and endocrine (hormonal) time series analysis using the
MDL
principle in the context of neural networks and context-free grammar
complexity.

To elaborate on one of the relevant topics above, in the last couple
of years
or so, there has been a major focus on the aspect of timing in
biological
information processing ranging from fields such as neuroscience to
endocrinology. The latest work on information processing at the
single-cell
level using computational as well as experimental approaches reveals
previously
unimagined complexity and dynamism. Timing in biological information
processing
on the single-cell level as well as on the systems level has been
studied by
signal-processing and information-theoretic approaches in particular
in the
field of neuroscience (see for an overview: Rieke et al. 1996). Using
such
approaches to the understanding of temporal complexity in biological
information transfer, the maximum information rates and the precision
of spike
timing to the understanding of temporal complexity in biological
information
transfer, the maximum information rates and the precision of spike
timing could
be revealed by computational methods (Mainen and Sejnowski, 1995;
Gabbiani and
Koch 1996; Gabbiani et al., 1996).

The examples given above are examples of some possible biological
application
domains.  We invite and solicit papers in all areas of
(computational) biology
which make use of ALP, MDL, MML and/or other notions of information
and
complexity.

In problems of prediction, as well as using "yes"/"no" predictions,
we would
encourage the authors to consider also using probabilistic
prediction, where
the score assigned to a probabilistic prediction is given according
to the
negative logarithm of the stated probability of the event.

List of Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) re PSB-98 :
Q1. How can my paper be included in PSB's hardbound proceedings?

   PSB publishes peer-reviewed full papers in an archival
proceedings.  Each
   accepted paper will be allocated 12 pages in the proceedings
volume.
   Paper authors are required to register (and pay) for the
conference by
   the time they submit their camera-ready copy, or the paper will
not be
   published.

Q2. How does a PSB publication compare to a journal publication?

   PSB papers are strenuously peer reviewed, and must report
significant
   original material.  PSB expects to be included in Indicus Medicus,
   Medline and other indexing services starting this year.  All
accepted
   full papers will be indexed just as if they had appeared in a
journal.
   It is too early to assess the impact of a PSB paper
quantitatively, but
   we will take every action we can to improve the visibility and
   significance of PSB publication.

Q3. If I do not want to submit a full paper to PSB, but wish to
participate?

   Authors who do not wish to submit a full paper are welcome to
submit one
   page abstracts, which will be distributed at the meeting
separately from
   the archival proceedings, and are also welcome to display standard
or
   computer-interactive posters.

Q4. What are the paper submission deadlines?

   Papers will be due July 14, although session chairs can to adjust
this
   deadline at their discretion.  Results will be announced August
22, and
   camera ready copy will be due September 22.  Poster abstracts will
be
   accepted until October 1, and on a space available basis after
that.
   Poster space is limited, especially for interactive posters that
require
   computer or network access.

Q5. Where should I send my submission?

   All full papers must be submitted to the central PSB address so
that we
   can track the manuscripts.   Physical submittors should send five
copies
   of their paper to:

      PSB-98
      c/o Section on Medical Informatics
      Stanford University Medical School, MSOB X215
      Stanford, CA 94305-5479  USA

   Electronic submission of papers is welcome.  Format requirements
for
   electronic submission will be available on the web page
   (http://www.cgl.ucsf.edu/psb) or from Russ Altman
   (altman@smi.stanford.edu).  Electronic papers will be submitted
directly
   to Dr. Altman.

   We prefer that all one page abstracts be submitted electronically.
   Please send them to us in plain ascii text or as a Microsoft Word
file.
   If this is impossible, please contact Dr. Altman as soon as
possible.

Q6. How can I obtain travel support to come to PSB?

   We have been able to offer partial travel support to many PSB
attendees
   in the past, including most authors of accepted full papers who
request
   support.  However, due to our sponsoring agencies' schedules, we
are
   unable to offer travel awards before the registration (and payment)
   deadlines for authors.  We recognize that this is inconvenient,
and we
   are doing our best to rectify the situation.  NO ONE IS GUARANTEED
TRAVEL
   SUPPORT.  Travel support applications will be available on our web
site
   (see Q7).

Q7.  How can I get more information about the meeting?

   Check our web page: http://www.cgl.ucsf.edu/psb or send email to
the
   conference chair: hunter@nlm.nih.gov

Further comments re PSB-98 :
----------------------------
 PSB'98 will publish accepted full papers in an archival Proceedings.
All
 contributed papers will be rigorously peer-reviewed by at least three
 referees.  Each accepted full paper will be allocated up to 12 pages
in the
 conference Proceedings. The best papers will be selected for a
30-minute
 oral presentation to the full assembled conference. Accepted poster
 abstracts will be distributed at the conference separately from the
 archival Proceedings. To be eligible for proceedings publication,
each full
 paper must be accompanied by a cover letter stating that it contains
 original unpublished results not currently under consideration
elsewhere.

 IMPORTANT DATES:

 Full paper submissions due    (NEW deadline):   July   21, 1997
 Poster abstracts due:                           August 10, 1997
 Notification of paper acceptance:               August 22, 1997
 Camera-ready copy due:                          September 22, 1997
 Conference:                                     January 5 - 8, 1998