DM: TMC's Darwin

From: Will Dwinnell
Date: Tue, 22 Jul 1997 07:03:30 -0400 (EDT)
"We're looking at a major investment in TMC's Darwin product.
Has anyone on the list had a chance to really put it to the test?"

To some degree, I have.  The last version I worked with would have
been
whatever Thinking Machines was shipping in February (I worked at a
beta
site), which would have been release 1.Beta 2_16 or possibly a little
later, so some of this may have changed.  At the time, Darwin
consisted of
3 learning tools: a neural network, CARTŪ  and a k-nearest-neighbor
system
(which TMC referred to as "memory based reasoning").  The neural
network
struck me as fairly ordinary (backprop, conjugate gradient) and their
CARTŪ
system seemed to function adequately.  I felt that the k-nearest
neighbor
(k-NN) system was not terribly useful in the big data mining
environment
they are marketing to, and I told them so when I visited them in
Bedford.
k-NN, in its raw form, requires that all the training examples be
carried
about for use during recall since the examples are the model.  This
struck
me as completely unwieldy since data miners who would buy this kind of
software would have rather large databases of examples and
implementation
of this sort of thing in code would get messy (at least, compare to
something like a neural network or a CARTŪ -derived decision tree).  I
know
TMC had been making changes the entire time I used Darwin so maybe
there
are more features now (such as clustering).

Will Dwinnell