DM: My introduction

From: Daniel X. Pape
Date: Tue, 29 Jul 1997 01:35:27 -0400 (EDT)
Hi -

My name is Daniel Pape. I am a research programmer for the Digital
Library Research Program at the University of Illinois.

The "datamining" that I do may not be very fancy - mostly what I work
on
is automatically categorizing and indexing "large" textual and image
collections. By "large" I mean scientific journal article collections
in
SGML on the order of 40-50 gigabytes, and aerial and satellite photo
collections of a terabyte or more.

What I use for these categorizations are modified (and optimized!)
self-organizing maps (SOMs). I understand that many other people are
using SOMs for their datamining, so I would love to see a number of
discussions about people's experiences with them. SOM algorithms are
understandably very time and resource consuming, so I hope that people
on the list will be able to share each others attempts at speeding up
the process, and not be too stifled by feelings of the need to secure
"corporate trade secrets."

Dan

--
Daniel X. Pape