Re: DM: My introduction

From: Warren Sarle
Date: Tue, 29 Jul 1997 13:25:01 -0400 (EDT)
Daniel Pape writes:
> The "datamining" that I do may not be very fancy - mostly what I
>work on
> is automatically categorizing and indexing "large" textual and image
> collections. By "large" I mean scientific journal article
>collections in
> SGML on the order of 40-50 gigabytes, and aerial and satellite photo
> collections of a terabyte or more.
>
> What I use for these categorizations are modified (and optimized!)
> self-organizing maps (SOMs). I understand that many other people are
> using SOMs for their datamining, so I would love to see a number of
> discussions about people's experiences with them.

Why do you use SOMs? Why not ordinary VQ? What properties of your
textual and image collections do you expect the dimensions of the
SOM grid to reveal?

I have tried to use the WEBSOM application at
http://websom.hut.fi/websom/comp.ai.neural-nets/html/root.html
to search for articles in comp.ai.neural-nets, and I found it quite
useless. Dejanews works far better.

--

Warren S. Sarle       SAS Institute Inc.   The opinions expressed here
saswss@unx.sas.com    SAS Campus Drive     are mine and not