DM: Yet another DM Introduction

From: Huw Roberts
Date: Tue, 29 Jul 1997 07:06:12 -0400 (EDT)
Hi.

I'm Huw Roberts, and I work in the Data Mining Group at  BT Labs. in
the
UK (http://www.labs.bt.com/).  I carry out data analysis for other
parts
of BT and external customers, provide consultancy on projects with a
data mining aspect, and research new data mining technology.

If you want to know more, see my homepage at
http://www.labs.bt.com/people/roberthd/index.htm

I am putting together some WWW pages about the Data Mining Group -
when
available I will email this list.

I am currently leading projects in two areas:

a). developing data mining technology for 'realworld' databases. By
this
I mean data mining techniques that can cope with and/or exploit the
characteristics of real databases:  very large volumes of data,
complex
relational structures, erroneous, duplicated, or missing data,
dynamism,
other operational demands, etc. etc.

b). applying data mining techniques to WWW usage data, particularly
for
electronic commerce applications.
We demonstrated some of the work so far at BT's Innovation 97
(http://i97.labs.bt.com/ - for the pages on WWW data mining go to Zone
2, 'Positive Contact').

Huw.