DM: CFP: IST Special Issue on Knowledge Discovery and Data Mining

From: Huw Roberts
Date: Tue, 29 Jul 1997 07:06:12 -0400 (EDT)

                                Call For Papers:

                Information and Software Technology (IST)
              Special Issue on Knowledge Discovery and Data Mining.

We have been asked to edit a special issue of Information and Software
Technology on
Knowledge Discovery and Data Mining
(http://www.elsevier.nl:80/inca/homepage/sac/infsof)
to be published around the middle of 1998.

We are soliciting papers of about eight journal pages each, though we
could have a few
up to 8,000 words in length if necessary.

Because authors may find it impossible to submit by our full paper
deadline
of 15th February, 1998, we are issuing calls which could result in
substantially more submissions
than we have room for. So, if you can, please let us know by 1st
September 1997 if you intend to
submit. A refereeing process will take place on the basis of long
abstracts (of approximately
500 words in length), to be submitted by 1st October 1997. It will be
conducted by the two of us
calling on expertise from others where required. Authors will be
informed on 1st December 1997
of the outcome and the full paper will be required by 15th February
97.

Co-authored papers will be acceptable. Overviews, technical
contributions, reports on applications
and relatively speculative accounts of progress can all be considered.
The overall goal is to highlight
the challenges, excitement and progress to date of knowledge discovery
in databases, with the
objective of stimulating further research and applications.

Specific topics include, but are not restricted to:

     Machine Learning, Statistical, etc, methods for use in Data
Mining;

     Algorithms for Reasoning Under Uncertainty about data;
     Representation issues;
     Technical Measures of Importance, Interestingness, etc, and their
evaluation;
     Solutions to basic problems raised in developing DBMS
functionality
and services to
                support Data Mining better;
     Incorporating domain knowledge and relevant process background
knowledge in Data Mining;
     Problems caused by large volumes of data; scaleability of Data
Mining
     Coping with updates to/dynamism in databases for Data Mining;
     Data Mining for non-experts;
     Data mining time-series data, text, multimedia data, etc.;
     Tools and Applications of Data Mining.

IMPORTANT DATES:

ABSTRACTS DUE: 1st OCTOBER 1997

ACCEPTANCE NOTICES: 1st DECEMBER 1997

FULL PAPERS DUE: 15th FEBRUARY 1998

PUBLICATION: JUNE/JULY 1998

Inquiries and abstracts should be e-mailed (in ASCII format) to both
of
us:-

GUEST EDITORS

Prof. D A Bell
Head of Information and Software Engineering
University of Ulster
UK
email: da.bell@ulst.ac.uk

H D Roberts
Data Mining Group
BT Laboratories
UK
email: huw.roberts@bt-sys.bt.co.uk

The WWW URL for this Call For Papers is:
http://www.labs.bt.com/people/roberthd/cfp.htm