Read: Re: DM: Queries...

From: durpani
Date: Thu, 7 Aug 1997 19:44:43 -0400 (EDT)
As to the data warehouse question:

Data warehouses (at least as originally conceived; the term is thrown around quite loosely these days) is not just a historical database but is one that is optimized to support decision making and data analysis (though not necessarily the kind of data discovery involved in data mining).  Data warehouses also organize the data by subject matter.

As to some of the marketing issues and data warehouse:

Ralph Kimball's book "The Data Warehouse Toolkit" (John Wiley & Sons, 1996; ISBN 0-471-15337-0) has information on building data warehouse databases to support standard sales and marketing performance tracking.  I would imagine that some of this information would be relevant to identifying the kinds of data one would need to do project planning and project projections.

I would imagine though that your application would require considerable demographic information, information about similar products (if any) already in the marketplace and the buying patterns and demographics of those product's customers.  This would probably mean that, in addition to the demographics and survey data gathered from a prospective customer survey, you would have to acquire a lot of data from someplace like A.C. Nielsen or one of the other firms that specialize in providing marketing information about products.  I haven't looked there but if Nielsen has a web site you might want to see if they discuss using their supplied data to deal with exactly the kind of problem you are talking about.  Whatever data you would acquire would certainly require a data mining approach to get at what I think you are trying to establish.  The results are out of scope for a traditional data warehouse.

There is also a chapter (17) in the book "Data Warehousing: Strategies, Technologies and Techniques by Rob Mattison (McGraw-Hill, 1996; ISBN 0-07-041034-8) that discusses the use of neural nets for making marketing projections based on demographics and other factors relating to promotions and response to product offers.  The chapter was written by a tool vendor so may need to be taken with a grain or two of salt but it looks like it might be related to your problem.

Chapter 20 of the same book deals with data mining tools that can be used for predicting.  The example is not to your subject matter but may be useful.  It too was written by a vendor (of a different product) so the same caveats apply.

The opinions supplied are those of the
author of this message and do not
      necessarily represent those of Lockheed
Martin or any of its subsidiaries.