Re: DM: DataMining/Knowledge Discovery Newsgroup???

From: Stephen Landry
Date: Tue, 12 Aug 1997 01:26:06 -0400 (EDT)
On Mon, 11 Aug 1997, Mark SCART® on wrote:

> > re: moving to a digest form of distribution ....
>
> I'd rather keep things as they are.  I have a plethora of tools
> for shunting e-mail into folders, categorizing by content,
> automatically discarding e-mail containing given keywords
> or regular expressions, indexing by degree of interest based
> upon my preference profile, etc.  (I get several hundred e-mail
> messages a day.)  Globbing a bunch of e-mail into a wad
> doesn't reduce the amount of content, but it certainly makes
> it harder to automate its management.
>
> Before making the change, I'd recommend a public discussion
> of the pro's and con's.  Maybe some folks just need to be made
> more aware of what their alternatives are.

Most listservs give each subscriber the option of receiving messages
individually or in digest form.  No one is forced to receive in digest
form, just given the option.  Individual messages are easier to reply
to, but those who want digests should be given the option.

---
Stephen Landry
land3902@mstr.hgc.edu