Re: DM: DataMining/Knowledge Discovery Newsgroup???

From: Mark Scart on (Contract)
Date: Mon, 11 Aug 1997 19:57:33 -0400 (EDT)
> re: moving to a digest form of distribution ....

I'd rather keep things as they are.  I have a plethora of tools
for shunting e-mail into folders, categorizing by content,
automatically discarding e-mail containing given keywords
or regular expressions, indexing by degree of interest based
upon my preference profile, etc.  (I get several hundred e-mail
messages a day.)  Globbing a bunch of e-mail into a wad
doesn't reduce the amount of content, but it certainly makes
it harder to automate its management.

Before making the change, I'd recommend a public discussion
of the pro's and con's.  Maybe some folks just need to be made
more aware of what their alternatives are.

Thanks!  And btw, thanks for volunteering your services to
administer and moderate this group.  I have to agree with the
others, this listserv certainly returns less junk than the
newsgroups are doing these days.

>>> Dorothy Firsching <firschng@cais.com> 08/11 4:29 PM >>>
Yes, it is possible, we just have not seen the volume (other than the
introductions) to make it a necessity.  But we certainly can set one
up if you folks would prefer it.

>While I sympathize with the unundated mailbox syndrome, I believe
>that the  listserv approach is less plagued by garbage postings
>than the newsgroup approach. Majordomo (the listserver software
>used to manage this list) is capable of presenting collections of
>postings in digest format rather than each individual posting
>being sent separately.  This means that we would receive one or
>two e-mails per day containing the group dialog rather  than the
>10-20  that  we  currently  receive.   However, it is up the list
>owner to set this up. Dorothy, is this possible?
>
>---
>Ken Collier, Ph.D.
>Box 15600                        e-mail: Ken.Collier@nau.edu
>College of Engineering and Technology   Phone: 520-523-5412
>Northern Arizona University             Fax: 520-523-2300
>Flagstaff, Arizona  86011-1560          WWW:
http://www.cse.nau.edu/~kwc

Dorothy Firsching
CEO
Nautilus Systems, Inc.