DM: RE: Genetic Algorithms

From: Sarabjot S. Anand
Date: Tue, 12 Aug 1997 11:20:09 -0400 (EDT)
Ron,
I have recently been using a genetic algorithm/Nearest Neighbour
hybrid algorithm for predicting survival of patients with colorectal
cancer and the results have been very encouraging. The algorithm
provided a better model than a backpropagation based neural network
implementation as well as a regression tree induction algorithm we
used in the study. The search space (that of attribute weights) in
our case is multimodal and from what I have gathered about GAs these
are the kinds of spaces where GAs are most effective, as they have
less of a tendency to get stuck in local optima as opposed to
hill-climbing techniques.
A fairly comprehensive GA related web site is:
http://www.shef.ac.uk/~gaipp/galinks.html
However, these are not necessarily Data Mining. The only people I am
aware of that are working in Data Mining using GAs are Prof. Vic
Rayward-Smith of Univ. of East Anglia and Quadstone Ltd. in Edinburgh.
Sarab