Re: DM: equal-size clustering

From: David L Dowe
Date: Wed, 3 Sep 1997 23:57:35 -0400 (EDT)
> From owner-datamine-l@nessie.crosslink.net Thu Sep  4 13:51:21 1997
> Date: Thu, 04 Sep 1997 11:05:09 +0800
> From: Hukan <hukan@cs.hku.hk>
> To: datamine-l@nautilus-sys.com
> Subject: DM: equal-size clustering
>
> Hello,
>    I have a special clustering problem. Given a set of points in the
> multidimensional space, we want to cluster these points under the
> limition that the sizes of clusters are (almost) equal. Could anyone
> give me some suggestions?

   Hi.

I would do this by MML (Minimum Message Length), and would use Snob
http://www.cs.monash.edu.au/~dld/Snob.html
modified so that the relative class abundances had to be (almost)
equal,
and I would try to quantify "(almost) equal" with the best Bayesian
priors
I could.

No doubt, others will come up with alternative suggestions.

As I sometimes post to this mailing list,
for a whole lot of clustering software, see
http://www.cs.monash.edu.au/~dld/mixture.modelling.page.html

> thanks in advance.
>
> hukan

Regards.    - David.

(Dr.) David Dowe, Dept of Computer Science, Monash University,
Clayton,
Victoria 3168, Australia  dld@cs.monash.edu.au     Fax:+61 3 9905-5146
http://www.cs.monash.edu.au/~dld/