DM: Introduction

From: Walter Johnston
Date: Thu, 4 Sep 1997 12:05:27 -0400 (EDT)

My name is Walter Johnston. (Ph.D. Statistics, University of Texas, Austin, 1988) I have been "lurking" on the list for a while now since it was not clear that our email system was going to cooperate. I appreciate the patience of the list adminstrator and readers while this got cleared up (hope it stays that way!).

I have been a Unix and VMS sysadmin over the years and, as such, was much more interested in working with large datasets than most of my Professors. I am currently working at Nortel (formerly Bell Northern Research) here in Richardson. We are building a system to monitor performance of multiple wireless switches (cell phone stuff) and will be deploying shortly. This system will allow the collection of large amounts of historical data on a per-switch basis. I anticipate this growing to 50-75 meg per installation. After deployment of this system, I will be working on tools to assist in the analysis of the all that data :-)

My dissertation work was on "Tree-Based Models", specifically the use of GLIMs and multiple inference adjustments to extend such things as AID, CARTŪ , and CHAID.