DM: Data Mining List Introductions

From: DURPANI.AU.ORACLE.COM
Date: Sun, 27 Jul 1997 07:51:15 -0400 (EDT)
Hello all

I would like to introduce myself to this list.  I used to work as an
architect
and a civil engineer until I went back to school and completed a PhD
in
Artificial Intelligence Applications.  My research involved
developing a
feature selection and data mining algorithm for an industrial
application.  I
also developed a Knowledge Discovery from Database system for the
industrial
sponsor.  Since then I have worked at the Commonwealth Scientific &
Industrial
Research Organisation developing decision support systems.

Recently I have joined Oracle Systems (Melbourne), part of Oracle
Corp. within
the Business Intelligence Group working on On-Line Analytical
Processing
(OLAP) and Data Warehousing business solutions for a wide variety of
clients.
I am very interested in the use of data mining techniques and
solutions as a
means of delivering high leverage business and competitive
intelligence to
industry.

I am very much aware that data mining is still relatively new to most
businesses and that the term is still widely misused and abused and
that the
technologies involved need to stabilise, application methodologies
need to be
developed and means of efficiently integrating with data warehousing
developed.

I look forward to sharing and learning from this list.  Thank you.

Regards
David

Dr David URPANI                                  Phone: +613 9209
1600
Senior Consultant - Business Intelligence   Voice Mail: +613 9209
1694
Oracle Systems (Melbourne)                      Mobile:   0414 510
204
Level 7, 324 St.Kilda Rd., Melborune 3004,        Fax : +613 9699
1259
Victoria, AUSTRALIA

     "The statements and opinions expressed here are my own and
      do not necessarily represent those of Oracle Corporation"