No Subject

From: Hallberg Rassy
Date: Thu, 9 Apr 1998 06:40:56 -0400 (EDT)

 Dear Friend
 I have now a problem and would like to share with you and to
receive, if
 possible your opinion.
 Hereinafter the picture of situation:
 1.I'm presently involved in a customer profiling project for a
large   mobile operator.
 2.The goal is to set up a system able to anticipate the
likelyhood of  churn of  customers
 3.As a pilot step I extracted call records for 10000 active
customers  plus 4000  churned
 4.Using SPSS neural connection I made up a neural network based
on a set
 of 4000  active+4000 churned
 5.The data was: calling patterns of july, agoust and september
the   target was:  churn/no churn situation in december
 6.The results was promising: 90% of real churn anticipated, with
a   cut-off  probability of 80%
 7.The same network was used on october, nov, dec. data to
anticipate
 march churn  the results dropped to a terrific 11% with the
same cut-off
 of 80%: totally  useless
 I have formulated some hypotheses
 A.The low time span (three month) is affected by
seasonality
 B.The data used are not sufficient to build a reliable
network
 C.The tool (SPSS Neural Connection) is not reliable
 Could you give your opinion?
 Many thanks in advance