DM: Educational data mining software

From: Ronny Kohavi
Date: Fri, 19 Dec 1997 10:47:24 -0500 (EST)

Joseph> I teach MIS subjects in the University of Delaware's College
Joseph> of Business. We teach fundamental database topics to our
Joseph> students. We'd like to move past that stuff, to have our
Joseph> students do some datamining work. So far, I have not been able
Joseph> to figure out how to do that economically.

Joseph> 2. Are any of you aware of public domain datamining software?
Joseph> Failing that, very reasonably priced data mining software?

MLC++ can be used freely for research purposes, such as your course.
   http://www.sgi.com/Technology/mlc/
Compiled versions are available for SGI, SUN, NT.
Source is available, but it's not trivial to compile.

Joseph> 3. Are any of you aware of any industrial strength data mining
Joseph> packages that would be deeply discounted for educational
Joseph> institution use?

MineSet from Silicon Graphics is under a varsity agreement that
makes it extremely cheap for Universities ($20,000 otherwise).
It requires Silicon Graphics hardware.
See mineset.sgi.com/ under more information.

--

   Ronny Kohavi (ronnyk@sgi.com, http://robotics.stanford.edu/~ronnyk)
   Engineering Manager, MineSet.