Re: DM: Request For DM Info

From: eric
Date: Wed, 4 Nov 1998 11:36:47 -0500 (EST)
Mr. Bradley,

You had asked where to learn more about Data Mining, and how to more
quickly assess methods and tools that apply to this new practice.
Just an
hour ago, I introduced my company's course entitled "Data Mining:
Principles and Practice" whose purpose is to instruct in the areas
you had
inquired about: to give a broad but intense intro to DM methods, look
at
how they compliment, explore strengths, drawbacks and ways to overcome
common limitations, as well as ways to evaluate and select commercial
tools.

The course is being conducted in Dallas today through Friday, but
will be
offered again in January in Orlando, FL.  Now that I notice you are
from
Scotland, I'm not sure how feasible or practical a journey to the
U.S. is
for you, but academic discounts are available.  Additional details
follow
for the class.  I invite you to reply or call me directly to better
explore
whether the course is technically suited and truly a match for you.
Which
ever way you proceed, best wishes toward your pursuit in this
intriguing
and promising field!

                  Advanced Software Technology Training
                          The Gordian Institute
           Eric King                   Direct: (281) 364-9882
           Business Development     Toll Free: (800) 405-2114
           eric@gordianknot.com    http://www.gordianknot.com

================  DATA MINING: PRINCIPLES AND PRACTICE
==================
               |       November 4 - 6, Dallas, TX       |
               |      January 27 - 29, Orlando, FL      |
               |           Registration $1495           |

ABOUT THIS COURSE
This three day seminar covers the subject of data mining from the
ground
up. Those in attendance will learn about different methods of
modeling and
how those models apply to real business problems.  If you desire to
make
data mining an integral part of your business process, then this
offering
is designed for you.

ACHIEVE SUCCESS BY:
    - Uncovering valuable information buried in your data.
    - Learning what data has real meaning and what data simply
      takes up space
    - Examining which data mining methods and tools are most effective
      for your needs
    - Avoiding pitfalls in the analysis of results

THE CHALLENGE
The rapid emergence of electronic data processing and collection
methods
has lead some to call recent times as the "Information Age."
However, it
may be more accurately termed as "The Age of the Data Glut."  Most
businesses either posses a large database or have access to one.
These
databases contain so much data that it becomes very difficult to
understand what that data is telling us.

There is hardly a transaction that does not generate a computer record
somewhere.  All this data has meaning with respect to better
understanding
customer needs and preferences.  But how do you discover those needs
and
preferences in a database that contains gigabits of seemingly
incomprehensible numbers and facts.  Data mining does just that.

However, used blindly, incorporation of data mining techniques can
result
in large expenditures of money and time to no avail.  The key issue
explored in this seminar is how to avoid frustrating and costly
mistakes
and improve your business process by correct use of these powerful
methods.

WHAT YOU WILL LEARN
    - The basic principles of data mining
    - The different methods of data mining and how they compare
    - How to prepare raw data for data mining
    - How to analyze and validate the results
    - What questions data mining can answer
    - What are the pitfalls and how to avoid them
    - What commercial products are available and how to evaluate them

WHAT MAKES THIS SEMINAR UNIQUE
This seminar focuses on actual use and implementation of data mining
techniques in the real world.  The instructor has been deeply involved
with the development of data mining methods and the means of their
use.
Actual products will be reviewed, as will results drawn from real data
mining applications.

DATA WORKSHOPS
Application workshops are designed to extend the instructional
sessions.
The workshops will highlight superior performance as well as pitfalls
resulting from various tools and techniques when applied to different
types of data intensive problems.  Exercises will reveal impressive
results from the same technique that may have failed in another
category.

In addition, procedures for evaluating popular data mining products
can
save immeasurable time and effort in assessing and selecting which
suite
of tools will perform best for your application.  Products will be
separated into four categories:
    - Statistical
    - Decision Tree
    - Neural Net
    - Clustering Technologies

The instructor will show how to evaluate various packages based on
strengths, limitations, value and general performance.

COURSE OUTLINE
    - A Perspective on the Business Problem
         - The arrival of the data flood
         - The breadth and depth of the data problem
         - The need for business efficiency
         - The Role of Technology
         - Approaching the Solution

    - Statistical Approaches
         - What are Simple Statistics?
         - Review of Linear Regression and its Contribution to
           Data Preprocessing
         - The Role of Sigmoid Regression
         - How and when to use CHAID
         - Advantages of K Mean Nearest Neighbor
         - Decision Trees: When to choose and how they Function
         - Advantages and Disadvantages

    - Rule Based Systems
         - What is Knowledge Discovery
         - ID3: An Inductive Algorithm
         - Advantages and Disadvantages

    - Neural Networks
         - Principles of Pattern Recognition
         - A Historical Perspective
         - The Back Propagation Paradigm: Modeling mathematics
           based on brain functions which bring new dimensions
           to multivariate analysis
         - Radial Basis Function Neural Networks
         - Distance Based Neural Networks
         - Interpretation of Results
         - Advantages and Disadvantages

    -Self Organizing Systems
         - Supervised Vs. Unsupervised Learning
         - Self Organizing Maps:  Inspection of a powerful
           clustering technique
         - Creating and applying Lead Clustering Maps
         - What is Fuzzy ART:  A powerful unsupervised
           learning technique?
         - Interpretation of Results
         - Advantages and Disadvantages

    - Evolutionary Computation Methods
         - Genetic Algorithms

    - Hybrid Systems
         - Using Statistics to Derive Rules
         - Statistical Variable Selection and Neural Nets
         - Self Organization and Rule Based Systems

    - Data Requirements and Preparation
         - Data Limitations: The Risk of Over Fitting
         - Why An Apparent Abundance of Data Can Actually be Limiting
         - Categorical Vs. Numerical Data
         - Transformation of Categorical Data
         - Re-representation of Categorical Data
         - How to use Normalization Methods
         - Selection of Dependent and Independent Variables
         - Selection of Data for Model Development, Testing and
Validation
         - The Importance of Randomization Methods

    - When To Use Which Method
         - Conditions Required for Statistical Methods
         - The Role of Data Quality
         - Robust Nature of Neural Networks
         - Corporate Needs
         - Instance Vs. Cumulative Models

    - Interpretation of Results
         - Understanding and using Gains Tables
         - The use of Lift Charts
         - Discrete Models: Advantages and Function
         - Employing Performance Models: a powerful and automated
           multi-stage function
         - Creating and Interpreting Product Affinity Models
         - Perception Charts: An efficient visualization and
           interpretation tool.

    - A Comparison of Products And Tools
         - Utilizing Cost Performance Factors
         - Mining Method(s) Used
         - How to Determine Skills of Target Users
         - Training and Support: Requirements vs. Availability
         - Product Integration Factors
         - Need for Third Party Assistance

    - The Challenge For Data Mining
         - Mining the Internet Rather than Browsing
         - Intelligent Agents

THE PRESENTER
Ben A. Hitt, Ph.D. has many years of experience using pattern
recognition
technologies and intelligent software tools to solve business
problems.
He has taught thousands of students in the use and principles of
software and machine learning technologies.

He was Director of Training for NeuralWare, Inc. in Pittsburgh, PA,
and
in that role instructed the use of neural networks for Financial
Forecasting, Fraud Detection, Process Control and Direct Marketing. He
was instrumental in the design and development of ModelMAX, a complete
neural network application for the direct marketing industry.

Dr. Hitt also designed and implemented a nationally recognized
detection
system for rapid tax refund application fraud.  He has recently
conducted
a detailed and exhaustive survey of commercial data mining products
for a
major US bank.

                         LOGISTICS INFORMATION

======================   Embassy Suites
TRAINING SITE CENTRAL:   Dallas - Market Center
DALLAS, TX               2727 Stemmons Way
----------------------   Dallas, TX 75243
                         (214) 630-5332 or (800) EMBASSY

LODGING:          A block of rooms has been reserved at a rate of
$149.
                  Please call the telephone number above and mention
                  the Gordian Institute when reserving a room.
Gordian's
                  special group rate will expire on October 10.

TRANSPORTATION:   - Courtesy Shuttle from Love Field Airport
                  - Supershuttle from Dallas/Ft. Worth Airport
                        Phone: (800) 258-3826
                  - DART to downtown Dallas 3 Miles

SCHEDULE:         Breakfast is complimentary and cooked to order each
                  morning in Hotel Dining Room at 8:15am.  Class
Begins
                  promptly at 9:00am each day.  A one hour lunch break
                  will commence at noon.  Gordian will host a
networking
                  luncheon November 4th.  Eating establishments will
be
                  recommended for the 5th and 6th.  The course
concludes
                  at 4:30 p.m. each day

DRESS:            Casual

SIGHTS:           Ballpark at Arlington (30 Miles)
                  Dallas Zoo (12 Miles)
                  Galleria Mall (3 Miles)
                  Symphony Hall (14 Miles)

======================   SAIC
TRAINING SITE EAST:      14279 Research Parkway
ORLANDO, FL              Orlando, FL  32826-3248
----------------------   407-282-6700
                         http://www.asset.com/orl/home.htm

LODGING:          Sheraton University Inn
                  17724 Alafaya Trail
                  Orlando, FL 32826
                  407-658-9006 or 1-800-346-9008
                  Rooms have been blocked for this seminar.
                  Please reference The Gordian Institute when
                  making your reservations.

                  Holiday Inn/UCF
                  12125 High Tech Avenue
                  Orlando, FL  32817
                  407-275-9000

                  Courtyard Marriott/UCF
                  12000 Collegiate Way
                  Orlando, FL  32817
                  407-277-7676

TRANSPORTATION:   Super Shuttle Service from airport to hotels:
                  888-549-5817 or 407-249-1177

SCHEDULE:         A Continental Breakfast will be available at the
                  classroom from 8-9am.  Class begins at 9:00am each
day.
                  A one hour break will commence at noon.  Lunch will
be
                  provided.  The course concludes at 4:30 p.m. each
day.

DRESS:            Casual

SIGHTS:           Civic Theater of Central Florida
                  1001 East Princeton Street
                  407-896-7365

                  Orlando Museum of Art, Inc.
                  2416 North Mills Avenue
                  407-896-4231

                  Orlando Science Center
                  777 East Princeton Street
                  407-514-2000

                  The Mercado: A Festive World Marketplace
                  8445 International Drive
                  407-345-9337

                         REGISTRATION INFORMATION

       You may register for this course through any of the following:
                        http://www.gordianknot.com
                              800-405-2114
                           281-364-9882 (direct)
                            281-754-4014 (fax)
                          agent@gordianknot.com
                   (Email registration form follows)

================================CUT /
PASTE===============================
     | Registration Form for "Data Mining: Principles and Practice" |
     |                  November 4 - 6, Dallas, TX                  |
     |                 January 27 - 29, Orlando, FL                 |
     |              Reply to < agent@gordianknot.com >              |

--- PLEASE COMPLETE ONE FORM FOR EACH APPLICANT ---
Name         =>
Organization =>
Address      =>
Address      =>
Address      =>
Phone        =>
Fax          =>
Email        =>

--- PLEASE CHECK ONE IN EACH GROUP BY PLACING AN "X" IN THE BRACKETS
---
[] South-Central Offering, Dallas, TX: November 4 - 6
[] East Coast Offering, Orlando, FL: January 27 - 29
---
[] Purchase Order =>
[] VISA with Expr & Name =>
[] MasterCard with Expr & Name =>
[] AMEX with Expr & Name =>
[] Check Number =>
   (Mail Check in the amount of $1495 payable to:
    Gordian Institute, 2 Millennium Centre, Triadelphia, WV 26059)
[] Send Invoice
   (If billing address is different, please enter here: )
[] Unofficially Reserve (Your seat will be held for 14 days, or until
   all seats are reserved by paying customers.  You will be notified
   before your seat is released).
---
[] Have a representative contact me when this application is received.