DM: RE: OO design of data mining systems - Sentient

From: Peter van der Putten
Date: Tue, 10 Nov 1998 10:25:06 -0500 (EST)
Dear Maria,

We think so. At Sentient Machine Research we have been aiming at
verticalization of data mining applications since we started our
development
on the DataDetective data mining environment back in 1992.
DataDetective is
not just a tool but also an application generator.
Recently we were awarded an European grant to further 'chop up' our
data
mining and information retrieval software into 'Nuggets'. The reason
for
this is that we expect that it will enable us to build even better
systems
faster. Anyway, just to recite my favourite mantra, the future of data
mining is vertical!

> If it is possible, how?

The tricky thing is not only the coding part (abstracting code etc),
but
also changing your development process. People inside or even outside
the
corporation have to agree on the interfaces of objects. For more
process
stuff, see "Debugging the development process" by Steve Maguire,
Microsoft
Press (not necessarily OO). Ofcourse, you will have to measure how
much you
develpt. process improves.

> It could indicate papers,
> publications, sites and others on this subject.

As part of our dissemenation responsibilities we will post a press
release
later on.

Regards,

Peter van der Putten