Re: DM: Book on datamining

From: Ken Collier
Date: Mon, 23 Nov 1998 11:05:36 -0500 (EST)
Anderson Bodart Pinto writes:

> I'd like to know the name of one or two good books about Datamining.
> I'm a beginner in the issue, but I'd like a book that contained not
> only an overall, but a more complete approach on the issue.
>
> Answers to bodart@dcc.ufmg.br
>
> Thanks.

I'm teaching a graduate level KDD  class  this  semester  and  am
using:

Berry, M. & Linoff, G., "Data Mining  Techniques  for  Marketing,
Sales, and Customer Support", John Wiley & Sons, 1997.

This is a great book with good  case  studies  and  a  reasonable
degree  of  technical  depth.  Because my course is a CSE course,
I've had to supplement the book with more  technical  algorithmic
detail, but this shouldn't be necessary unless you want to really
get  into  the  nitty-gritty  of  how  these   machine   learning
algorithms  work. I would recommend this book to anyone who wants
to get quickly on-top of KDD. I think  amazon.com  sells  it  for
around $48 (USA).

---
Ken Collier, Ph.D.                      Associate Professor of
Computer Science
Box 15600                               e-mail: Ken.Collier@nau.edu
College of Engineering and Technology   Phone: 520.523.5412
Northern Arizona University             Fax: 520.523.2300
Flagstaff, Arizona  86011-1560          WWW:
http://www.cse.nau.edu/~kwc