DM: Parallel coordinate plots

From: Warren Sarle
Date: Thu, 7 Aug 1997 12:28:09 -0400 (EDT)
Karen Moe
> I recently attended a fascinating lecture/demo by Dr. Alfred
>Inselberg, Tel
> Aviv Univ, at the Univ of Maryland Human Computer Interaction Lab
>regarding
> "Multidimensional visualization with applications to process
>control and
> other multivariate problems".  He graphically represents data in a
>parallel
> coordinate system (vs orthogonal) and demonstrates how
>interelationships
> become visible when manipulating the data.  I believe Dr. Inselberg
>has a
> patent on a data mining approach and software tools exist.  His
>email was
> given:  aiisreal@math.tau.ac.il

It's very nice for up to a hundred or so cases, if the variables have
a natural order. The software I have seen in the last few years is
deficient in automatically ordering and reflecting variables; see
Hartigan's ancient book on clustering for an algorithm.

--

Warren S. Sarle       SAS Institute Inc.   The opinions expressed here
saswss@unx.sas.com    SAS Campus Drive     are mine and not