Re: DM: Re: DataMining/Knowledge Discovery Newsgroup???

From: Harm Smit
Date: Mon, 11 Aug 1997 06:21:16 -0400 (EDT)
I don't know exactly what happened to AltaVista ForumForum, but I
assume it
was more a promotion vehicle for the AltaVista product line than
anything
else. The AltaVista Forum product is still there and I think this
type of
product is well adapted to our data mining discussion group: it allows
public and private threaded discussion groups, document sharing,
opinion
polling and more, all through a standard Web browser at the client
side.
Thus people will be able to only consult information they are
interested in
and follow related discussion items much more easily. Privacy can be
protected. Of course, AltaVista Forum is not the only product of its
kind,
but it is known to be low-cost, easy to install (on top of any
existing Web
server) and easy to use.

Harm Smit.
----------
> De : Dorothy Firsching <firschng@cais.com>
> A : datamine-l@nautilus-sys.com
> Objet : Re: DM: Re: DataMining/Knowledge Discovery Newsgroup???
> Date : vendredi 8 août 1997 23:19
>
> Could you tell me what is happening with AltaVista Forum?  I tried
check
> into it and found:
> "ForumForum is being removed from service
> Although we have had a wonderful reaction from the Internet
>community,
> AltaVista ForumForum will be removed from service on July 1, 1997.
>In the
> meantime,
> you may access your floor by entering the floor number here:"
>
> So although it was announced as a free service last fall, now is it
>even
for
> sale?
> (this is off track from data mining discussion, but if there is a
>better
> way, maybe we should investigate it!)
>

> At 10:20 PM 8/8/97 +0200, Harm Smit wrote:
> >Good point. This form of discussion group is somewhat outdated and
>so
would
> >be a newsgroup in the traditional form. Why not use a tool like
AltaVista