Re: DM: DataMining/Knowledge Discovery Newsgroup???

From: Ken Collier
Date: Mon, 11 Aug 1997 18:21:31 -0400 (EDT)
Ron Hartman writes:

> A question for everyone...
>
> I love the content and thoroughness of the messages that arrive in
>my inbox everyday from this newsletter, but I have a question to
>ask...
>
> Should there be a DataMining/Knowledge Discovery Internet Newsgroup
>instead of this e-mail forum?
>
> Perhaps there one already???
>
> I for one would prefer to get all of this great content and
>follow-on comment threads via a newsgroup interface vs. the
>multitude of e-mail messages that are piling up in my inbox.
>
> Feedback???
>
> Ron Hartman
> Vice President
> NetCube Corporation

While I sympathize with the unundated mailbox syndrome, I believe
that  the  listserv  approach is less plagued by garbage postings
than the newsgroup approach. Majordomo (the  listserver  software
used to manage this list) is capable of presenting collections of
postings in digest format rather  than  each  individual  posting
being  sent  separately.  This means that we would receive one or
two e-mails per day containing the group dialog rather  than  the
10-20  that  we  currently  receive.   However, it is up the list
owner to set this up. Dorothy, is this possible?

---
Ken Collier, Ph.D.
Box 15600                               e-mail: Ken.Collier@nau.edu
College of Engineering and Technology   Phone: 520-523-5412
Northern Arizona University             Fax: 520-523-2300
Flagstaff, Arizona  86011-1560          WWW:
http://www.cse.nau.edu/~kwc