Re: DM: Genetic Algorithms

From: Stephen Landry
Date: Wed, 13 Aug 1997 22:16:53 -0400 (EDT)
On Tue, 12 Aug 1997, Ron Hartman wrote:

> There's been a lot of "buzz" about using Genetic Algorithms in Data
>Mining
> Applications.
> 1.) Can anyone share their experiences using these techniques to
>solve
>     business problems, especially in direct marketing applications?
> 2.) Are they ready for "Prime Time"?  (are there any significant
>risks?)
> 3.) What are good resources to further my knowledge?

You should post to the comp.ai.genetic newsgroup, although I do not
recall
any discussions on data mining, and it is not mentioned in the FAQ.
GAs
are very ready for "Prime Time" for NP-Hard optimization problems,
such as
scheduling, TSP (the Traveling Salesman Problem) and other, mainly
combinatorial, optimization problems.  The GA-digest and the Genetic
Algorithms Archive are maintained at the Navy Center for Applied
Research
in Artificial Intelligence (http://www.aic.nrl.navy.mil/galist/).
There
are also links to other resources there, including the FAQ.

---
Stephen Landry
land3902@mstr.hgc.edu