DM: Another Delayed Introduction

From: Tom Osborn
Date: Tue, 23 Sep 1997 21:25:57 -0400 (EDT)

Hi all,

I joined the list a couple of months ago. My background includes
applied
maths/modelling, statistical mechanics, neural networks (theory and
application),
evolution (we 'invented' Genetic Logic Programming here), some
machine learning
and trad AI (UTS was Ross Quinlan's "home" from '83 till about '88),
and many
kinds of information theoretic issues to do with processing data sets
(eg,
signal processing and financial time series), including use of rank
statistics.

Some recent consulting involved learning a medical tissue
classification problem
for 83 dim input to 12 classes, and was fraught with problems
(smallish training
set, some classes were composed of disjoint subclasses, class sizes
varied a lot,
noise, instrument drift, an imposed utility (cost) on classification,
and some
classes were both poorly identified and over dispersed).
[Significantly, our
model outperformed 18 person months of statisticians' work]

All the data was quantitative, so we ultimately used neural approach
with lots
of pruning, and took a residual approach to learn some superclass
separation as
a filter for subsequent classifications. Our model was later used as
a guide
to fit a slightly more restricted non-linear regression.

If we go to another stage, there will be a LOT of statistical
pre-processing
built in.

Tom.
--
Dr Tom Osborn,                        "I told the elephants to forget
it...