DM: DM/KDD Training

From: James Krueger (612) 883-5663
Date: Fri, 13 Feb 1998 14:58:33 -0500 (EST)
  • Posting-date: Fri, 13 Feb 1998 14:05:00 -0600 (CST)

Hello- My name is Jim Krueger and I'm new to the mailing list and relatively new to data mining/knowledge discovery.

My question is: what do others on the mailing list recommend that I do to learn more (much more) about this field? I have gleaned a fair amount of information from the internet, but am interested in learning more specifics about the various DM/KD techniques as well as gaining hands-on experience with some of the more popular softwares.

As it stands, my current organization (a large HMO) will probably not enter the realm of DM/KD for about another two years. I'd like to push that timetable ahead somewhat (okay, a lot).

My background is in actuarial, data analysis, statistical analysis, data warehousing project management (user), reporting, and consulting (sorry if this is beginning to sound like a resume). My technical background includes at least a smattering of SAS, SPSS, JCL, SQL, Access Basic, NOMAD, Focus, PCFocus, Access, Paradox, Fortran, and Pascal in a variety of PC, C/S, and mainframe platforms and environments. I know enough "to be dangerous", enough to meet my analytical needs, and usually pick up new applications very quickly, but in order to become knowledgeable in DM/KD, do I need to focus on the technical side or is the project management/consulting side a viable alternative?

I'd like to take my knowledge about DM/KD to the next level, do it soon, and at an affordable cost. Are seminars/conferences the only option or are training courses available? I have a passion for problem-solving and making customers happy and DM/KD sounds like the right way to do it. Plus, it seems to me like it would be just plain fun.

Any suggestions that would help me to achieve these goals would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

--Jim Krueger--